Data gives us details about the way the world works. Here, we can know everything just in a click. But this data is a waste, if we do not do anything with it. This is where data science comes. The term data science was first used as an alternative name for statistics. We have data on everything so whatever your interest is, data science is applicable everywhere.
What is data science?
Data science uses various tools, algorithms, and machine learning algorithms to discover hidden patterns from the raw data. It is related to big data, machine learning, and data mining. Data science pertains to both structured and unstructured data. It gathers the theories and techniques from many fields within the contexts of computer science, information technology, statistics, and mathematics. People believe that data science is the “fourth paradigm” of science. Data science holds the preparation of data for analysis and processing, presenting the results to reveal patterns and enable stakeholders to conclude.
Languages used for data science:-
- Data science uses python, a programming language with simple syntax. Python libraries that are used in data science are NumPy, pandas, Matplotlib, and Scipy.
- For statisticians and data mining, the R programming language is used and is optimized for computation.
- Julia is a high-level, dynamic programming language that is used for computational science and numerical analysis.
Careers on data science include the following roles:
- Data scientists: They are responsible for designing data models and perform custom analysis.
- The Data Analysts: They manipulate large data sets to identify strategic business decisions.
- Data Engineers: They organize data from different sources and transfer it to the data warehouse.
- Business Intelligence specialists: They are responsible for identifying trends in data sets.
- Data Architects: The job of the data architect is to design, manage, and create an organization’s data architecture.
Who is a data scientist?
The role of the data scientist is to control, interpret, and analyze large amounts of data. Above all, data scientists are data analytics experts who have the technical ability to solve complex problems. Or in simple words, data scientists are the ones who practice the art of data science. They are skilled professionals who are capable of processing various data useful for end-users.
What does a data scientist do?
A data scientist works with several elements of statistics, mathematics, computer science, etc. However, it is not necessary for them to be experts in all these fields. They work with business stakeholders to understand their goals and to achieve these goals they determine how can the data be used. Data scientists design data modeling processes to create algorithms and predictive models to extract the data the business needs and help analyze the data and share insights with peers. Also, they are responsible for presenting raw data in more useful ways.
Data scientists play an important role in an organization as they help them in making sound decisions. There is a wide range of ways data scientists may work on. Also, the role of the data scientist may vary according to the company and the business domain they are working on.
One can see the growth of data science from the last few years. It will not be wrong to say that future belongs to data scientists. There are more and more opportunities in the field of data science. Data science helps in understanding business problems clearly. It also helps businesses to integrate the data. So, data science seems to be the quick solution. Therefore, it is going to evolve into a new phase depending on the need of the hour. Data scientists exist as long as the data exists and data science exists everywhere.